Dutch Oven Pulled BBQ Chicken Over Rice
is a most satisfying dish. It can either be served as a traditional pulled chicken sandwich if you have the buns or served over rice for an easy and fortifying disaster dish.
For even cooking temperature move the coals around a bit, preheat with about 8 on the bottom, once covered to let the chicken cook , have about 8 on the bottom and 10 on top. After the chicken was done to get sauce to boil, add a few more coals to the bottom to heat it all up faster.
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 1 hour
Total time 1 hour 15 mins
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 12 buns or five cups of rice
- In a Dutch oven heat olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until quite soft. Add the smoked paprka and stir. Add the chicken, pepper and salt.
- Add the water and bbq sauce and cover it with the lid. Add a few coals on top, but keep the heat lower (around 300 degrees) and let it simmer for 60 minutes.
- Once tender remove the chicken and shred it with 2 forks. During that time, add more coals underneath the dutch oven and bring the bbq sauce mixture to a boil. If you need to skim off fat etc from the top, do that. Let it boil down to about ½ of its volume
- Take the dutch oven off the coals, add the chicken back in and let it rest for 5 minutes. Spoon the bbq chicken mixture on to a bun and enjoy.