Chilli is a go to dish in any survival situation. it is easy to prepare and you can make a huge amount of it and then eat on it for a day or two, lessening the needed fuel to cook with.
You canuse any type of beans you may have to come across and put just about any type of ingredient in. beans are a great source of much needed protein and the long cooking times help in reducing food based illness. All great traits to have in a survival food.
Makes enough for 10 people.
- 1 pound cannellini beans, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds pork shoulder (see note) cut into 1- to 2-inch chunks.
- 1 pound raw hot Italian or chorizo sausage, removed from casing (see note)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (see note)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup finely minced cilantro
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely sliced scallions
- Rinse and drain soaked beans.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over hot coals until smoking.
- Add half of pork and cook until well-browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with remaining half of pork. Transfer second batch to bowl with the first batch.
- Add sausage to pot and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until no longer raw.
- Return meat to pot with sausage and add onion, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and half of cilantro. Cook, stirring constantly until aromatic and onions have begun to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add soaked beans, tomatoes, enough water to cover meat and beans by 2 inches, and a large pinch of salt (it should still taste under-seasoned, as it will reduce).
- Place lid on Dutch oven and cover with hot coals. Allow to heat for 10 minutes then peek and check temperature. Liquid should be mildly bubbling.
- Allow to cook until beans are soft and creamy and meat is completely tender, 3 to 6 hours depending on how hot you cook it (for best results, cook over very low heat for a long period of time).
- Check on pot as it cooks every hour or so, topping up with water as necessary.
- After the chili is done, season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the remaining cilantro and scallions. Serve immediately.