This hearty Italian white bean and rice soup is the perfect main dish for chilly days after a disaster.
This dish can be made in a dutch oven over coals, or in a plain old soup pot over a camp fire or on a bbq grill
Makes six to eight servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped fine
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked or 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth or stock
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- While rice is cooking, heat olive oil in a large stock pot. Add garlic, onion, and celery and cook until soft, for about four minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes, and seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, stir in the beans, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice and serve. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.