Survival Granola is a top notch survival food. It can be made in large batches and then eaten over a course of a few days or weeks and the ingredients are fairly simple.
It is recommended to cook this in large batches when you have a field kitchen going. it can take an hour or two to cook it up and requires some space to have enough elbow room to move it about. It can be stored for up to a week and a half without refrigeration.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour
Survival Granola Ingredients:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries ( oruse cherry flavored Craisins)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional as they sometimes melt and cause some goo)
Survival Granola Directions:
- Preheat the Dutch Oven to 325 degrees or use a cast iron skillet or Wok over campfire coals.
- In a large bowl, toss the oats with cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until completely combined.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands to combine them. Gather up some of the mixture in each hand and make a fist. Repeat until all of the oats are coated with the honey mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking vessel. Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola. Sprinkle the nuts over the granola and return it all to heat.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola. Return the baking sheet to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven. Let cool completely.
- Sprinkle the dried cranberries and chocolate chips over the granola and use your hands to transfer it to an airtight container. The granola will keep for 1 week.
NOTES On Survival Granola Ingredients:
The following ingredients can all be used in any combination, in any quantity. There is no right or wrongand anything goes in a survival situation.
rolled (old fashioned) oats
ground flax seed
If using salted nuts, you may want to omit the salt that is mixed with the cinnamon at the opening of the instructions. lord knows we get enough sodium in our diets as it is.
raisins, brown or golden
other dried fruits (banana chips, dried blueberries, etc)
brown sugar (light or dark)
pure vanilla extract
other extracts such as almond, lemon, cherry, etc
spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc)